Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Fresno Armenian continued his thoughts, at times bordering a tirade. “Speaking of injustice...when I saw the woman with Parkinson’s during a reportage on ‘Armenia’ television I went into shock. Here’s a woman, sitting there, her hands and arms shaking, and she’s saying ‘I’m a person too, I’ve lived a normal life, I’d just as soon do away with myself, living like this. I can’t afford medicine, as the government gives so little I only have medicine for a few days a month.’ There’s money in this country for everything but those who really need it. This is disgusting, to be going on in our own country.

“But I do like how there are many, especially young, who are protesting this kind of injustice in Armenia. They don’t often make the news, but they’re out there. The government is trying to scare these youth, by setting examples, like the girl who protested what’s going on in Teghut, but I don’t think they can be scared off. These are our real patriots, these youth.”

Speaking about cultural life here and in Fresno, he said, “Things have changed in Fresno over the years. Young Armenians, who have no connection to the old generation, their culture, or their music, don’t know Armenian culture or music. This is natural, I suppose, being the fourth or so generation born in the US. But here in Armenia, I expected more. When I saw a Hayastantsi, on a well known National Television program, singing to a 6/8 beat, I thought I was in Saudi Arabia. When he used, rather, stole, Avetik Isahakyan’s words, ‘mi mrahon aghjik tesa...’ I couldn’t believe my ears. Everyone knows that line is Isahakyan’s, and has never been used anywhere else...And the Armenian girls dancing in the background...dancing like Arabic or Turkish belly dancers. What can I say? I know it’s probably shoved down your throats here. But do your best...protest this, and injustice in general...Armenia is our last hope.”

No comments: